Preserving Atlanta's Downtown Character

Bell Building

place image

The Bell Building, originally built in 1907, served as Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company's switchboard.  The building is a classical three-storied, steel structure with a brick facade and simple detailing; it is often noted for its large windows on the street level. A 1922 addition was added to the left of the original building, designed by P. Thornton Marye, who also designed the now demolished Terminal Station.  The 1922 addition houses the maching switching technology that brought with it a true dial tone.  While both portions of the building reflect different aesthetic ideas, they are inextricably linked and should be thought of as parts of a whole.    

The current owner, Georgia State University, has stated they have plans to demolish this building in favor of a parking lot or green space.  While the building has been largly unoccupied since the 1980s, its location on Auburn Avenue, 68,000 sqft of usuable space and open floor plan makes it a perfect place for an adaptive reuse project.   By taking cues from other sucessful adaptive resue projects in the area, the Bell Building can continue to provide a sense of history and character to Downtown Atlanta. 

There is currently a petition circulating to save the Bell.  Click here for more information.  

 

Listed in 2014

Address: 25-27 Auburn Ave Atlanta, GA
Area of City: Downtown
Time: 1907, 1922
Architect/Designer: P. Thornton Marye (1922 expansion)