Mt. Gilead Camp Ground

place image
Interior view of the Campground

The Mt. Gilead Camp Ground is one of the oldest community structures in Atlanta. Built around 1832, the campgrounds were established when Mr. John M. Smith donated a tract of land to Mt. Gilead Methodist Church. Starting back in 1835, annual revival meetings were held at the campgrounds, hosting some of the city’s more anticipated social events. In 2015, the campgrounds were placed at auction with fate unknown. The Atlanta Preservation Center is advocating for the preservation of this site as it represents much of Atlanta’s communal history and is equally integral in telling it.

Address: 2073 Campground Road SW Atlanta, GA  30331
Area of City: Southwest Atlanta
Time: 1832