Advocacy Was Successful But Recourse Has Sealed the Fate

Crum & Forster

place image

The Atlanta Preservation Center’s endeavors to preserve all of the Crum and Forster Building are now at an end. Although advocacy for the building was successful at every public hearing, recourse to the Fulton County Superior Court and direction by the Mayor’s office have sealed the fate of the building.
 
 
As has been anticipated, the Georgia Tech Foundation demolished the eastern two-thirds of the Crum & Forster Building at 771 Spring Street on Sunday, September 1, 2013. 
The Georgia Tech Foundation has stated its intention to demolish most of the building with a view of preserving the façade. The court decision, however, does not require that this portion be preserved. 
 
The APC presented a record of the entire five year effort as part of the public record in the hearing before the City’s Board of Zoning Adjustment on February 7, 2013. The  submission serves as our analysis of the results of this issue.
 
This submission as well as more information on this preservation effort can be found here.

Listed in 2007

Address: 771 Spring Street Atlanta, GA  30308
Area of City: Midtown
Time: 1926
Architect/Designer: Helmle, Corbett & Harrison; Ivey & Crook of Atlanta